But this post is not about the merits and/or evils of IVF. Rather, it is about a few of the comments I read on the Nobel Prize website. In particular, there were more than a few people who commented along the lines of: "Thank you for our daughter!" This made me stop and think for a second because I was like, "this seems odd...to be thanking a human being for the existence of another human being." And then I thought back to my devotion this morning in 1 Corinthians 3 (also our text for Bible study this week), and I realized why. You see, the Corinthians had been divided in their loyalty to human teachers, with some following Paul, who had planted the Corinthian church, and others following Apollos, who had come afterward to help solidify and edify the church. But Paul condemns these divisions and says, "I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow." (v. 6)
As humans we can only do so much. We receive the seed from the hand of God and we plant it. We receive the water from the hand of God which we then use to water the seed. But what can we do then? Well, we just have to wait and hope that the seed grows, because we can't make it grow. As Paul goes on to say, "So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow."
This is true with regard to the spiritual lives within us, but it is also just as true to our physical lives. Whether you are conceived the traditional way or in vitro, the fact remains that God alone is responsible for your being alive today, or at any point in time. A human may have combined egg and sperm in a test tube, and a human may have planted the resulting embryo in a uterus to grow, but only because God willed it to be so and set out boundaries for which those processes might be possible in the first place.
So whether or not you agree with the merits, political/social/economical/scientific/spiritual, of this year's Nobel Prize in Medicine, I'm going to finish my thoughts with one simple phrase:
To God alone be the glory.
No comments:
Post a Comment